Using API with local Makerspace

Hey all! I’ve never posted in any sort of forum but I’ve been tasked to link the fabman API with our local database system. I’m a fairly new programmer with APIs and haven’t done much practical programming other than our database system.

I really just need to know if I am able to, or even need to, create the users of our space an account and add them to the space. As trying to create an account using API calls gets refused.

Hey @Corrente!

Can you tell me more about what you want to do and what you have tried?

POST /account is probably not what you want. It’s for creating a new Fabman customer account (i.e. that’s what is created when you sign up for a Fabman trial; with its own spaces, machines, members, etc.)

Depending on what you want to do, you probably want to add your users as members to your Fabman account via POST /members and maybe invite them to the member portal.

Hey! Thanks for the reply, that would make more sense, basically we have a check in system here in our space, and all I need to do is make it so that when they make an account with our system, it makes them a (member or user?) in our fabman space and we can set what machines they can use.

I’m just not too sure if I need to make them a user then add them as a member? And if that is correct, how I might do that as the tests I did with some dummy users didn’t work.

OK, then you want to create them as members in your space (POST /members) and then assign them packages (POST /members/{id}/packages) and maybe completed trainings (POST /members/{id}/trainings).

No, you don’t create users for them. But if you want your members to be able to use the member portal, you can invite them to create a user via POST /members/{id}/invitation.

Perfect! So then in creating a member, I tie the new member to an account? I noticed the required entry is ‘account’; does that correspond to the account number?

Yeah, that’s you Fabman account number. And you’ll need a space ID as well, which you can query via GET /spaces.

Thank you so much! I was able to get it working, I appreciate the support!

1 Like