Limit access to the equipment

Hi Raphael,

we bought second laser and I would like to ask, if we can somehow limit access to member which is already sign on other laser? This is safety precaution as we believe, that one person can safely work just on one equipment.

Many thanks for reply.

Miroslav

Hi Miro,

you mean that one member cannot use both laser cutters at the same time? This is something we’ve heard from several people. Unfortunately, it’s not yet possible, but we want to address this in the future.

Hi,
yes that is exactly what I had in mind. What is holding back implementation? Because from API view is just query for user ID on other machine with same group ID (in this case ID 4) and compare if user ID is not used on other machine. If is used, do not grant access to the machine which user is trying to turn on.

Thanks for reply.

Just that we can’t do everything at once, unfortunately. :roll_eyes:

We haven’t forgotten about it – quite the opposite. Being able to use a button as the deadman’s switch on new bridges makes it even more important to restrict multi-machine usage.

Limiting it to equipment types doesn’t cover all use cases we want to address, but we already have some ideas how to do it. I’ll keep you updated.

I did´t mean that in offensive way, sorry if you understand it that way :wink: . I know you have a lot on your shoulders. I do not know how you want to use them, but dead man switch would not be possible to use on old version of bridges or I´m mistaken?

With dead man’s switch I mean that equipment is automatically turned off if you don’t react. (The corresponding bridge setting is called “Turn off the equipment if members don’t interact…”.)

If that option is enabled for the previous bridge model, you have to swipe your card regularly. On the new bridges, you can also press the :ballot_box_with_check:-Button whenever it starts blinking/beeping. That’s great when you switch on equipment using your phone, because it’s cumbersome to get your phone out and scan again whenever the bridge starts blinking.
But the new button also makes it easier to keep multiple machines running, which might not be what labs want.

Hey @mzuzelka,

we’ve just released an option to prevent people from using certain machines in parallel. Have a look at the announcement for more details.

Let me know if this helps.

1 Like