Fabman fuses ratings

Hi,

I have a few questions regarding the Fabman fuses:

– On one of our Fabmans (FB-V2, POWER BOARD 2) the F2 fuse (T 150 mA L 250 V) blew off. What is typically a reason for this? This specific device is connected to Roland GS-24 vinyl cutter via the standard C13/C14 connectors. The board doesn’t show any other damage.

– When replacing the fuse, I noticed the original installed fuse is rated for 200 mA. Which value should I use for replacement? The board says 150 mA, but I have a trouble finding one, 160 mA or 200 mA are much easier to find (e.g. ESKA 522.510).

– Also I know, that on different versions of the power board, the fuse F2 was rated 250 mA mT L 250 V (e.g. ESKA 521.011). So for each power board versions, there are different ratings?

Thanks

Jan

Hi Jan,

The fuse was installed to simplify the certification process. It is placed before the 230V->5V power supply that feeds all the Fabman electronics. If a fault causes the power supply or the Fabman electronics to draw more than 200mA, the fuse disconnects the power supply from the mains. This ensures that in case of a fault, the power supply or the Fabman electronics won’t overheat and start a fire.

Although the power supply is only 10W, theoretically, a 50mA fuse should suffice. However, due to past issues with fuses, especially in countries with unstable power grids experiencing many surges, we now use a200mA fuse: 522.510 ESKA - Fuse: fuse | time-lag; 200mA; 250VAC; cylindrical,glass; 5x20mm; ZKT-0.2A | TME - Electronic components

Having said all that, you can also use an even higher value. The exact value is not so important. :slight_smile:

Karim

Hi Karim!

Great, thank you for the detailed info. :slight_smile:

Jan