Calendar integrations

Hi Raphael, all,
Is there a way ( or has anyone been able ) to integrate the booking calendar with iCal, .ics, etc (other calendar/event formats)? We have built a dashboard which is very useful for seeing the bookings for that day, and it would be great to have calendar features in the same place as our event/general mgmt calendars.

Ger

Hi Ger,

could you share some more information about what exactly you’d like to accomplish?

• What kind of booking calendar do you imagine?
  • Upcoming bookings for a particular machine (one machine per calendar) or all machines in one calendar?
  • Is the information intended for your staff? For your members? For the public? What are you trying to help them accomplish with that information?

The better you describe the situation you’re in and the problem you’re trying to solve, the better we can try to help.

Thanks for your quick response,

I’m imagining one machine per calendar, and it would be for staff use. It would be very useful to compare with the calendar that we plan our events on, and manage the use of the space with - For us this is Google Calendar and Outlook. That would be the most useful in our case anyway!

1 Like

Hi, I’m also interested in an “How to” make sure my calendar (google calendar) synchronizes with machine bookings … Thanks

So I’ve got a proposal that could benefit all future fabmanagers like myself who want to synchronize bookings on Fabman with google calendars … How about someone creates a “worklfow” on this (open source and free zapier like) website : https://n8n.io/.

I’d be happy to do it once I find the help … I’ve got no idea how this works …

1 Like

Hi Jean,
If you’re eligible for webhooks, you might be able to integrate in zapier using that feature…

I use https://webhookrelay.com/, and redirect to a server, which then connects to IFTTT, which then sends a nice formatted notification to my phone for each booking.

( Not for calendar events obviously, but the flow should be the similar, and allow adding and removing on receipt of the webhook. I haven’t figured it out, because I can never seem to get the Google side of it to work )

Btw, Raphael if it were possible to change the webhook key:value schema, you could do notifications directly to IFTTT which might benefit a lot of users. Maybe an option beside the current format.

IFTTT expects:
'{"value1":"ResourceNameOrSomething", "value2":"UserFName+LName", "value3":"DurationOrStarttimeOrWhatever"}'

Update: just rechecking why I haven’t got a notification recently, and I’ve hit a limit on webhookrelay.com`, free tier is more limited than expected. Was nice there for a few weeks. :sob:

1 Like

Hi @Jean_Nelson,

thank you for the suggestion! I wanted to look into adding Zapier integration for a long time. It might be a good alternative to programming your own webhooks and help more people build their own workflows and automations. I wasn’t aware of n8n.io, but I’ll check it out as well.

I’ll let you know as soon as I know more.

@FabLabLimerick, sounds like you have an interesting solution there. Could you describe it in more detail?

I looked into supporting IFTTT some time ago, but their webhook module was really limited (at that time). You couldn’t tell IFTTT how to parse the payload and it supported only a very limited number of values in fixed positions (as you described). Therefore, the required payload for IFTTT totally depends on what you want to accomplish with your webhook and therefore requires different formats of values for every single use-case.

But I’ll re-evaluate IFTTT once we have a better understanding what other platforms like Zapier are capable of.

To be fair IFTTT’s webhooks are probably exactly as you remember. :expressionless:

Now I’m looking for an alternative to the webhookrelay[dot]com. The solution may be Jean’s n8n.io. I’ll share if I get something useful.

Hi all, thanks for contributing.

@FabLabLimerick, why are you looking for alternatives to your current process ?

Hi All,

This feature would be amazing! And Zapier might be super useful as well…

Any updates?

Kindest,
Julien

1 Like

Hi Julien, so I’ve found out that Zapier wouldn’t be interesting because it’s way too expensive for the service provided.

We’re looking at open source self-hosted zapier : n8n.io for an easy and cheap way to do it … we can work around it so it’s not on our to do list …

1 Like